Job DescriptionThe Accounts Assistant will be involved with the running of this small practice with good exposure to various office and accounting tasks.
The Accounts Assistant is an integral part of the Accounts team responsible for maintaining an efficient and accurate finance function.
The Accounts Assistant is responsible for assisting the team with junior accounting and office duties and the role will involve both management accounts preparation as well as posting basic journals including cash and invoices to the nominal ledger and running reconciliation calculations to ensure that records and payments are correct.
- Posting bank payments and receipts to the correct nominal ledger accounts for various clients
- Posting Purchase invoices
- Creating and posting sales invoices for certain clients as required.
- Posting all authorised purchase invoices and expenses to the correct nominal ledger accounts
- Cash reconciliations and system review
- Preparing month end bank reconciliations
- Assisting the preparation of month end balance sheet reconciliations
- Assisting the preparation of month end management accounts
- Dealing with customer account queries where appropriate
- Assisting the Accounts team in maintaining an accurate and complete filing system
- Assisting with preparation of monthly operational and financial information for senior management team meetings and board meetings
- Daily opening and distribution of post, and processing of finance related post
- Writing up letters to clients and to companies house
- Assisting with Payroll duties where required
- Liaising with clients where required
- Maintaining the daily office tasks – Phones / messages/ diaries / emails etc
- Ad hoc task and duties as required
Working WeekMonday – Friday 9:00am – 5:30pm
Requirements & Prospects
QualificationsIdeally a minimum 4 GCSE’s C and above Including Maths, English and ICT (or equivalents)
Desired Skills• Possess a strong understanding of the workings of an office
• Wish to study for the AAT with the will to progress to further accounting qualifications
• Have excellent interpersonal skills
• Have good organisational skills and the ability to work to, and sometimes implement, own processes
• Possess good Microsoft Excel skills
• Be willing to learn
• Be attentive to detail
• Be prepared to do ad hoc tasks and duties as required
Personal Qualities• Willing to learn
• Must be reliable (good timekeeper)
• Be honest and trustworthy
• Be a good communicator
• Be willing to work on own initiative where required
• Be determined to succeed
• Be adaptable to ad hoc request and duties
Future ProspectsPotential progression to Level 4 and/or full time employment
You will work to achieve the highly recognised AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification and receive MAAT (Member of Association of Accounting Technicians) status.
You will be learning about all aspects of Accounting and learning new skills related to how businesses work. On the Apprenticeship there will be a good mixture of hands-on practical work and written work.