Job DescriptionAre you a budding IT Technician? As a Microsoft Certified Partner, our client is looking for a mature & versatile apprentice to join their team. You will respond to technical queries & issues relating to networks, servers & general hardware/software.
Our client is looking for a higher level technical apprentice to join their small yet successful team. You will respond to customer support calls and tickets.
Typical roles and responsibilities will include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Resolving hardware & software issues via remote access or on-site support
- Resolving server faults
- Network administration – Active Directory, IP Addresses, Group policies etc.
- Installation of new PC’s and laptops at client sites
- Setting up new IT users, e.g. e-mail accounts, work phones
- Maintaining and installing new cabling – e.g. Ethernet, Cat 5, Cat 6
- Fault finding & troubleshooting connectivity issues
- Installation of software including anti-virus & operating systems
This role requires the candidate to be able to carry out IT work in a variety of locations including the customer’s own premises.
The successful applicant will represent themselves and the IT Company in a professional manner. They will communicate at an appropriate level. They will work calmly, logically and effectively under pressure imposed by schedules and customer’s needs.
Working WeekMonday – Friday 9:00am – 5:30pm 40 hrs pw
Requirements & Prospects
QualificationsIdeally a minimum 4 GCSE’s C and above Including Maths, English and ICT (or equivalents)
Desired SkillsEssential criteria
• be conversant with Microsoft operating systems including Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8
• be conversant with Microsoft Server domains & managing domain workstations
• have an operating knowledge of administering current Microsoft server systems
• have an operating knowledge of IP networking and routing
• be capable of installing Cat5/6 network cabling in customers’ premises to a high standard
• have an operational knowledge of email systems
• have an operational knowledge of connecting iPhone, Blackberry & Android to Exchange email systems
• have an operational knowledge of computer hardware systems and their repair
• have an operating knowledge of Anti-Virus systems and their implementation
• have an operational knowledge of configuring routers
• have knowledge of backup software and utilities (Microsoft, Symantec Backup Exec, Acronis etc)
• have knowledge of computer repair & diagnostic utilities from Acronis, Norton etc.
• have the ability to install network printers & scanners
• be prepared to manually handle IT equipment as this is an intrinsic element of the role.
• be prepared to demonstrate flexibility in relation to working hours including weekend work as necessary
• possess relevant full drivers licence and be prepared to use own vehicle (mileage paid for by company)
Although not essential it would be beneficial if the applicant possessed operational knowledge of:
• Microsoft Windows server 2008, 2012, 2012R2
• Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 & 2011
• Microsoft Exchange server 2007, 2010 & 2013
• Microsoft SharePoint systems
• Microsoft Webservers
• Microsoft SQL database systems
• Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware & Citrix Terminal Server systems
• configuring & managing Cisco routers
• possesses relevant industry certification
Personal Qualities• Practical problem solver
• Reliable & punctual
Future ProspectsOur client is keen to progress their apprentice onto a full time role at the end of the apprentice, providing the apprentice has shown dedication & commitment to the role.
• Edexcel Advanced Apprenticeship in IT, Software, Web and Telecoms
• L3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
• L3 Extended Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles
• Level 2 Functional Skills English and Maths (if applicable)
• BCS Foundation Certificate in Networking and Architecture Principles (Knowledge Module 1)
• BCS Foundation Certificate in Mobile and Operating Systems (Knowledge Module 2)
• BCS Foundation Certificate in Cloud Services (Knowledge Module 3)
• MTA in Software Development Fundamentals or HTML5 App Development Fundamentals (Knowledge Module 4)
• BCS Foundation Certificate in Business Processes (Knowledge Module 5)