Job DescriptionAre you looking to pursue a career in Software Development? Trimble, a global technology centric company are looking to add 2 new Software apprentices to join their Research & Development Team in Ipswich. Whilst in the role you will learn about scheduling, product design, quality assurance, database administration and associated documentation.
The main purpose of this apprenticeship is to learn about and ultimately contribute to the software development cycle
Key accountabilities and learning outcomes are as follows:
Scheduling / Product Design:
Development lifecycle used in FSM
Understanding of Configuration Management and Change Control principles
Designing and developing various software applications, developing knowledge and skills of Java, Web Services, JSON, C++, Unix, Windows, SVN, Continuus, Oracle SQL
Quality Assurance (QA):
Providing test consultancy to all necessary sections of the company
Providing Verification & Validation services and consultancy to the Development
Setting up of test environments, including any necessary harnesses
Executing Test Cases and recording results
Developing Automation test scripts and strategies.
Liaising with Developers to prioritise and progress issues and faults raised
Assist Customer Support and Professional Support teams in investigation, ad-hoc configuration, integration and test activities
Writing Product Documentation
Planning, Specification and Development of documentation in line with Product
Development time scales:
Eliciting the information required to produce the documentation
Providing feedback on the usability of the software
Designing, writing and managing database systems
Working with database software to find ways to store, organise and manage data.
How to identify user needs, set up computer databases and test systems
Data integrity, backup, security and troubleshooting
Working WeekMonday – Friday, 9am till 5.30 (60 minutes lunch) 37.5 Hours
Requirements & Prospects
QualificationsA minimum of 5 GCSE’s C and above Including Maths, English and ICT (or equivalents)
- • WordPress knowledge/understanding
- • Good HTML and CSS knowledge
- • Experience with Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator / InDesign
- • Ability to work to set deadlines
- • Ability to liaise with work colleagues and clients
- • Analytical & Logical
- • Ability to apply expertise and effectively utilise technology
- • Willingness to learn and self-study – proactivity to conduct self-research
- • Focused on achieving work goals and objectives
- • Assertive and able to decide on and initiate actions
Future ProspectsThere is a full time role and progression onto a Level 4 qualification available for hard-working apprentices.
The qualification will consist of:
• Level 2 Functional Skills English and Maths (if applicable).
• Knowledge Module 1 – Software Development Methodologies Part 1 (Introduction).
• Knowledge Module 2 – Programming Part 1 (Introduction).
• Knowledge Module 1 – Software Development Methodologies Part 2 (Plus Exam).
• Knowledge Module 2 – Programming Part 2 (Plus Exam).
On completion of this apprenticeship, you will be awarded BCS accredited Knowledge Modules covering the following topics: Software Development Context, Methodologies and Programming. You will also be eligible to apply for entry onto the register of IT Technicians confirming SFIA L3 Professional Competence.
*Knowledge Modules are specified by the British Computer Society (BCS)