Job DescriptionTo provide 1st line IT support to Swindon Borough Council staff, partners and 3rd party suppliers. To deliver a high quality service that meets the needs of the customers ensuring that consistent policies, standards and processes are understood and adhered to.
1. Provide a professional and effective 1st line technical support service with a high percentage of first time fixes.
2. To investigate incidents and take action to resolve these incidents whilst monitoring trends and enabling problem management.
3. Ensure calls answered, resolved or passed to other areas within agreed SLAs and KPIs.
4. Consistently monitor, review and improve standards and processes with a view to continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.
5. To support the IT Major Incident Process across the IT Estate.
6. To communicate known and potential problem areas to end users and management and to update progress to resolution and closure.
7. To escalate incidents to subject matter experts internally and externally as required.
8. To ensure incidents and requests are allocated to the correct resolver groups if not resolved by Service Desk.
9. To ensure that work is carried out in accordance with SBC’s agreed policies, standards, methods and procedures.
10. To use the Service Desk System in line with agreed processes, data quality is maintained and information managed in line with relevant policies.
11. To use remote support tools to provide customer support and assist with software configuration, deployment and investigate and resolve incidents.
12. To provide an effective service in facilitating the requirements of ICT users starting, leaving or changing their role with SBC in line with the ICT Computer Security Policy including account set-ups and permission amendments.
13. To work as part of a Service Desk supporting team members.
14. Provide IT support services to customers through various channels and interfaces (telephone, email, web, remote support tools).
15. Ensure Knowledge Base is promoted, used and maintained and developed in line with support model for both Team and Customer facing information.
16. Maintaining a professional relationship with customers and continually assess own performance, customer satisfaction and IT performance.
17. Work flexibly and embrace change in order to best contribute to the delivery of a quality service by the team.
Bring the Swindon Borough Council Stronger Together Behaviours to life…
• Has Integrity
• Has Meaningful Relationships
• Has Clarity of Intention
Contacts and Relationships: What communication does the job involve within the Council and externally ? ie degree of personal contact with others and in what situations / for what reasons ( give egs of both written and oral communications )
• Daily contact with Service Desk Analysts
• Daily contact with Customers
• Daily contact with Managers and Professionals
• Daily contact with Service Areas
• Regular contact with 3rd Party Suppliers
• Regular contact with SBC Partners
• Excellent communication skills to include: in person, meetings, presentations, telephone, e-mail, remote control, reports
• Ensuring incidents and requests are allocated to the correct resolver groups.
• Act as a subject expert and provide advice and guidance to the users.
• Make recommendations to Service Desk Team Leader to improve service and customer experience.
• Willing to acquire new skills and broaden areas of competencies.
• Must be able to work flexibly to meet the demands of the job including some out of hours working at either evenings or weekends.
Working WeekMonday to Friday 8am – 4pm, 37.5 hours
Requirements & Prospects
QualificationsA minimum of 5 GCSE’s C and above Including Maths, English and ICT (or equivalents).
- • GCSE or equivalent in 5 subjects including English and Mathematics
- • Telephone support experience in a customer service role
- • IT literate with proven basic IT skills
- • Active Directory experience desirable
- • Experience of supporting IT Users
- • Proven planning and organisational skills
- • Highly Motivated with a Positive Professional attitude
- • Desire to provide a high standard of service
Future ProspectsTo progress on to level 4
The apprenticeship will include:
• Level 2 Functional Skills English and Maths (if applicable).
• Knowledge Module 1 - Networking and Architecture.
• Knowledge Module 2 - Mobile and Operating Systems.
• Knowledge Module 3 - Cloud Services.
• Knowledge Module 4 - Coding and Logic.
• Knowledge Module 5 - Business Processes.
• One vendor certification selected based on your job role and individual capabilities (Typically a Microsoft Technical Associate (MTA) certification).
On completion of the apprenticeship, you will be awarded BCS accredited knowledge modules covering the following topics: Networking and Architecture, Mobile and Operating Systems, Cloud Services, Coding and Logic and Business Processes. You will also receive an industry recognised qualification from Microsoft or CompTIA whilst gaining eligibility to apply to the register of IT Technicians confirming SFIA L3 Professional Competence.
*Knowledge Modules are specified by the British Computer Society (BCS)